17 June 2010

LETTUCE!!

I just harvested my first batch of buttercrunch lettuce and I'm so excited!!! Also on my garden round tonight I noticed that one of our little cherry tomatoes has turned RED, the cucumbers are flowering, the beans are growing nicely and the peppers finally are starting to grow.

I had a bit of a surreal moment standing there inspecting the garden. Realizing it's actually growing and making food, with fireflies dancing around, purple sweet peas cascading down the fence and a thunderstorm rolling in over a beautiful sunset.

It made me think of this quote:
To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life. ~John Burroughs

It certainly takes a lot of intentionality to slow your life down, but it's so worth it. To put aside distractions and let God remind you of who He is, what He has made and how He intended for us to enjoy both Him and His creation.


1 comment: