11 June 2011

saturday

Culture shock is weird. And being in the middle of it is frustrating. I simultaneously enjoy Madrid, and the people we've met here, and really love my team but at the same time, I would love nothing more than for someone to hand me a plane ticket to Nebraska where I can hug the people I love whenever I want and become a farmer or something. :) Basically it's just odd and irrationally emotional sometimes and "normal" (so I've been told) and you just have to get through it as best you can. Because it won't be like this forever.

But yesterday was a happy day. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and Nikki and I wandered down to Plaza del Dos de Mayo and made some really fun purchases at the Dosde Market craft fair going on right now.

(I stole this first picture from their photoset on Facebook.)

Then we were off in search of the fabric shops hiding somewhere between Sol and Plaza Mayor, which we found! And purchased some fabric so I can make things. (Like a motocross-patterned skirt for Nikki). After we got kicked out of the store at 2 (I always forget out siesta!) we wandered down to Madrid's delightfully bohemian and international neighborhood, LavapiƩs.
There, we met up with Stacy and Erin and had the most amazing Indian food I've ever had... while sitting outside under big gorgeous trees. Perfect.
And my fabric!
(Pictures of the Motocross or Pirate skirt coming soon...)

We finished off the day by celebrating Stacy's birthday (only a month late...) at a fun new place which I have no pictures of. :) It was such a life-giving kind of day filled with good friends, good food and a LOT of laughing.

1 comment:

  1. Like all that fabric, most especially the pink with grey!
    yesterday I made a chocolate cake right after I cleaned the kitchen {in other words, I messed it up after it was clean} and thought that it should have been you making that mess.
    Glad you had such a good Saturday.

    ReplyDelete